Water filtration systems have improved vastly over the last 10 years. It was necessary because of all the people getting sick from drinking water filled with contaminants, pollutants and dangerous chemicals. So, companies set about making new and improved systems.
A water filtration system removes these harmful ingredients from the water before anyone drinks it. While there are many of these systems to choose from, keep in mind that you need one that takes out only the harmful ingredients but leaves in the essential minerals. This can be a tricky task.
The first step in deciding which water infiltration system is best for your situation is to determine what you need from the system. For example, you can get a system for the shower, the kitchen, or the entire house. These systems require professional installation, and they have both good and bad points. One of the disadvantages is that it will be using your existing pipe system, and these pipes may already be contaminated. If this is the case, your filtration process won’t work.
While there are various types of water filtration, the 5 most used ones are the Ion Exchange, Distillation, Reverse Osmosis, Ultra Filtration, and Photo Oxidation. Each of these does something a bit different from the others:
1. Ion Exchange: Considered to be one of the most effective water filtering methods, this purifier uses ion exchange to make the water pure and safe. It is highly recommended for home use.
2. Distillation: To achieve water filtration with this method, water is heated to a boiling temperature, giving off vapors which are collected. It is a less expensive way to purify your water but also uses a lot of electricity, and isn’t capable of supplying pure water on demand.
3. Reverse Osmosis: This is a preferred method of many home owners. There is a semi-permeable membrane in the water filter that aids in filtration. It provides clean water whenever you need it.
4. Ultra Filtration: Much like Reverse Osmosis, this method also uses the semi-permeable membrane, but the pores are a lot bigger.
5. Photo Oxidation: Ultra-violet radiation is used to kill harmful substances in the water through this method. While it does get rid of bad microorganisms and bacteria, it does not take away particles. This rather costly method is typically used for industries instead of homes.
Perform a lot of research before you decide which water filtration system is going to be best for your house. While it may be tempting to lean toward the cheaper systems, consider all of the facts. What may save you money now may be more expensive down the road.
Finally, if you feel that contaminated water isn’t a big deal, remember how dry your skin and hair is every time you bathe. Contaminated water will cause you to age more quickly as well as being more open to catching illnesses and diseases. Consider these things when deciding if you need a water filtration system or not.